Thursday, April 16, 2015

I'm 18, Now What? College? Gap Year?

Hello lovelies!
As some of you may know my 18th birthday was on March 13th and since then I've been thinking a lot. I'm an adult now, but I don't feel any different. 

I've been thinking over the past few weeks about what I want to do with my life, and honestly I have no freaking idea what I want to do!

Do I want to go to college this year? Or Should I take a gap year?


The problem isn't that I don't want to go to college, I do, but I don't want to settle and go somewhere that I'm not going to be happy at.  I only applied to four colleges, and I'm only seriously considering two of them, one I've been accepted to, and one I'm still waiting to hear back from.

Here's what really got me thinking, I got my financial aid package for the college I've been accepted to a few weeks ago and it looks like for freshman year alone I'm going to have to take out a $15,000 loan just to attend. Next year will be worse because my mom just re-married. I don't want to be in debt for the rest of my life, and if I attend that college by the time I graduate I'll be over $50,000 in debt. I don't like that and since I'm thinking about going to Graduate school or Medical school after getting my bachelor's it makes the decision harder.

So what's the plan?

I'm thinking about taking a gap semester or gap year to get my finances in check and once I do I'm going to move to Nashville, Tennessee. Once I get there I'll spend a few months working and then enroll in college. If I get rejected from Belmont University, then I plan on applying to Nashville State Community College, it'll be cheaper and then later on I can transfer to a bigger school.

My other option is staying in my hometown for a year or two, attend the local community college, save some money, and then transfer out of state. However, I really don't want to do that, I want to be in Nashville, I've known for years that that's where I want to be and I want to make that happen.

Gif Credit
Honestly I don't know what's going to happen right now, I can't predict the future and there's nothing more I can do to convince Belmont to accept me. I just have to wait and see what happens. I have to let go and let God, it truly is up to Him at this point.

So my questions is, I'm 18, now what?
XoXo,
Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment